Make Taking Care of Yourself A Priority
It can be difficult to put yourself ahead of the many other responsibilities in life. When you put yourself first, don’t think of it as being selfish. Use it as an opportunity to treat yourself with the kindness that you would usually show to others.
Here are some ideas that may help get your positive thoughts flowing:
- Start the day with a positive affirmation. It can be as simple as, “I am strong and grateful for the day ahead of me.” Or just looking at a feature that you appreciate, “I like my nose since it reminds me of my dad and grandpa.” Remind yourself to shut down any negative thoughts that pop into your head. Since it takes practice and energy to think positive thoughts, this needs to be a daily practice.
- Put on a face mask while watching TV at night. Amazon has dozens of options for about a dollar each and they are easy and fast to use. (Search for face mask skincare).
- Choose a song that inspires you or makes you happy and play it as your wake-up song. For example, you may choose a song like “Walking On Sunshine” – Katrina & The Waves, “I Feel Good” –James Brown, “Don’t Worry Be Happy”—Bob Marley, “, or “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”—Marvin Gaye
- Search for a video on youtube.com on positive energy and feeling contentment.
- Take a 5-minute walk at lunch and take time to notice something different each time. It could be something you enjoy like a leaf that is bright green, a flower, or a car you like in the parking lot.
- Text someone you love or care for a note of appreciation. You may even reach out just to catch up and be social. No matter what it is, you can fill your cup up by being social with your friends and family.
- Remember what made you laugh as a kid when you didn’t have all the worries of everyday life. Was it a particular cartoon or show? Depression can hit slowly or quickly depending on your circumstance.
Most importantly, remember that you are not alone and it’s okay not to be okay. You can get the support you need to get through any challenge you might be experiencing. Here at A Better Way TMS, our staff works closely with you to help you find the path that will help you in your journey towards living the life you want without depression and anxiety.